So, if my understanding is right, pizza has few basic rules:
- Lots of cheese
- Few/No vegetables
- Smooth sauce
So well, if those are the rules, I broke all of them, since this is what it looked like, and it was yummilicious!
For the Sauce:
- Tomatoes: 2
- Onion: 1
- Ginger: 1” piece
- Basil and Parsley: Few leaves
- Garlic: 4
- Green, yellow and red capsicum: 1/8 part each
- Bay leaf: 1
- Balsamic Vinegar: 1 Tbsp
- White Sugar: 1.5 Tsp
- Brown Sugar: 0.5 tsp
- Pepper: 2 tsp
- Oregano: 2 tsp
- Salt: As per requirement
- Extra virgin olive oil: 1 tbsp
- Pizza base (white or brown): 2 (depends on the size. I used 2 small brown pizza base)
- Mozzarella Cheese: As required
The vegetables depend on one’s own preferences of course, but I added the following.
- Green, Yellow and Red Capsicum: ½ part each
- Mushrooms: 6
- Broccoli: 4-5 florets
- Corn: a handful
Making the sauce:
- Cut the tomato into quarters, and
keep them in the oven in grill mode for about 10 minutes.
- Let it cool, and then peel off the skin.
- Chop ginger and onion into chunky pieces and grind them along with the grilled tomatoes.
- Finely chop garlic, capsicum, basic and parsley.
- Take some olive oil in the pan. Once heated, add bay leaf and garlic.
- Add the tomato-onion mix, and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add red,green and yellow capsicum. Stir on medium flame.
- Add salt,pepper, white & brown sugar and oregano.
- Finally, switch off the stove, and add basil, parsley and balsamic vinegar.
Finally, the Pizza:
- Cut the mushrooms, capsicum and broccoli
into small pieces.
- Taking the pizza base, spread a generous and thick layer of sauce on top.
- Grate cheese on top of the sauce layer (the amount depends on you).
- Spread the vegetables evenly on top.
- Load the pizza base with toppings into the oven (I had pre-heated it for about 10 minutes), and keep it in for about 15 minutes.
- Enjoy it hot!
- If you’d prefer a smoother sauce, avoid the vegetables.
- Balsamic vinegar elevated the taste of the sauce to a whole new level.
- The tomato skin is peeled to reduce the acidity of the sauce – I had tried doing it with skins the last time. It was a lot more sour.
- Tomatoes can be added directly as well. Grilling tomatoes gave the sauce a sort of a smokey taste.
- To make it toddler friendly, no red chillies were added.