I also opine on:

Monday, March 19, 2012

She wanted to know everything..

My first cheesy romantic novel was by Danielle Steele. If you like going through breezy ones and haven't tried Steele yet, I am sure you would enjoy it. That is, if you stop with one or two.
About three novels later, you will realise almost all her novels have a set formula:

  • The romance is always between thirty or forty-something young couples.
  • Either or both of them have children in their teens.
  • Needless to say, the-in-love couple have amazing bonds with their kids.
  • They usually meet under unfortunate circumstances (like accidents or war), and when they take a break for coffee, they ask a simple-yet-loaded question. Like, "Did you always want to be a doctor?" or "Do you like what do you do?". 
  • Invariably, this line is always followed by "She wanted to know everything about him". Or he about her, as the case may be.
Don't get me wrong. I am not anti-Steele at all - Her stories, sans the predictable background and romance, were worth reading. I particularly enjoyed "The Family Album" and "Mirror Image". But I digress. This is not meant to be a book or an author review (if it was, it would have been on my other blog).

Since I started reading her books at an impressionable age of 13, whenever I tried to make conversation with someone, my mind would go - "She wanted to know everything about him (or her)" - she being me of course. It took me a long time to let go of the thought that my life is parallely being written into a novel and that I didn't have to give live mental commentary for everything happening in and around me.

I digress again, Fifteen years later, I still want to know everything about everyone. Of course, I don't go - "Tell me everything!". But when i ask, "How was your trip?" or "How was your weekend?" or the desperate "Anything else?", I expect a mind-blowing and spicy reply. More importantly, I expect details. I do not expect, "It was good" or "It was relaxing".

A more subtle corollary is, when I ask that, I expect everyone to want to know everything about me too. So, when these amazing 1-line insights into the trip or a weekend is not followed by "how was yours?", I die a little inside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahhahahaha !!

Got it !!

Totally loved this one archie !

Unknown said...

The writing your novel in the head is sooo true! "And she had bread for dinner that day, and she went for a walk"
It took me a long time to get out of it...

Et tu? I have trouble understanding these muggles. Should I talk now? Am I asking too many questions? Is this awkward silence?

Arch said...

Darling, you give me hope. I always thought I was this intrusive, all-wanting to know kid. Novel nahi, i write blog posts in my head. Truly enjoyed this one :)

Archana said...

Anon/Bala - Thanks! I work in mysterious ways to drive home apoint - like write a post, then asking you to check it! :D
Anupama and Archana - OMG! I really thought I was the only one. Frankly, I would end up blushing majorly after the line would play out in my mind - I mean, not all talks or chats were supposed to lead to romance right?!