I also opine on:

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Eye-poppers!

We always meet people we can't stand; and at times, we enjoy hating them so much that we keep hating them even if they are actually very nice.

Then there are people we like a lot. We like them so much that when they utter someting downright despicable, all we can do is gape.
I have had 3 back-to-back episodes with such much-liked people:


In the fast lane:

Ex-colleague: " I have lost count of how many dogs I have killed while driving"
Me: "What?"
Ex-Colleague: "There is no other option. At that speed, you can't really stop!"


Loyalty:

Girl 1: " I can't stand dogs."
Girl 2:"I can't believe you don't like them. They are so sweet and loyal."
Girl 1: "I can buy loyalty. But I really can't stand dogs"
She said that while kicking at a dog who came sniffing at her.

Provoked:

Me:"Working late nights must be irritating right?"
Boy:" Yes it is, especially since, while going back, dogs start chasing. Thats why I have stones in my pocket. I chase each one of them and throw at them."
Me (laughing): "You're joking right?"
Boy: "Arre no, they are a menace. In fact this one time, I asked the auto guy to stop and hit every one of them. Now they will not follow me."

The second one especially was a particularly eye-popping and open-gaping episode. I mean, you hear such things in movies right? Who in the right mind says something like that?!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

third one is an eye-popper.
I would've quickly checked my pockets and say "searching for a stone to throw one at you"
And laugh before he says anything else.

But I have no idea on how to react to episode-2!

Anonymous said...

aiyyoo .... vera topic-ay kadakka liya unakku? :-(
bommi and i were chased by a dog early morning when we were coming back from our customary newspaper purchasing walk. i hate dogs, esp the stray dogs that prowl the streets, and if they are as tall as my daughter!!

Archana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Archana said...

@Anu: You're right; its better to retort anytime!

@jiju: u n bommi chased by a dog?? how did bommi react?
i didn't know you hated dogs!! I think bommi will love all animals; she already likes cats a lot! :D

Anonymous said...

its no fun being chased by an angry growling dog at 3am on a deserted road... what do u suggest people in such situations do?

Archana said...

Anon - not "stop" an auto and hit them. An auto can overcome a dog any day - I've been in that situation. I'd rather have someone Scaring a dog when provoked, than have someone hitting a dog to be safe. Thats nonsense, whatever you say.